Sunday, November 23, 2008

Quick update

Yes, it's been a while since we last updated the blog... There just wasn't much to share as things have been going very well lately. I went through my first two chemo treatments with hardly any effects. My blood tests stayed positive so there was only a minor adjustment to the chemo dose. My physical response to all the treatment has been so surprising to me that I feel a little whimpy for even worrying about the treatments. However, that has proved to be short lived...

Two weeks ago I received my third chemo injection, (the start of the second round), and felt great for the first three days. The Saturday after the shot I began to feel a little feverish which worsened over the next 24 hours.  I spent Sunday evening in the hospital getting blood tests and IV antibiotics to fight off some sort of infection. My blood work didn't show any problems from the chemo, and in fact, showed my white blood cell count in the normal range. So, the cause of the infection was never determined. 

I recovered quickly over the next couple of days and returned for my fourth chemo injection this past Thursday. But, my white blood cell count had plummeted and the doctor chose not to give me the treatment.  I will have another blood test on Monday and we'll try again on Tuesday to get the treatment. However, if my white cell count is still too low they won't give it. The doctor says if it is still too low then he'll wait to give me any further chemo treatments until after the first of the year.

The other really great news is that I had another CT scan last week and there were no signs of any growths or masses in my abdomen. This type of cancer has a very high re-occurrence rate and can grow very fast. Because of that, I will continue to have CT scans every 3 months for the next year or two to keep an eye on it.

 Over all, I still continue to recover very well and I feel great! I'm not sure why but, God has blessed me with relative comfort and peace ever since the surgery. We continue to give him the glory for my health and praise him daily for the love and support we get from all of you! Thank you all for being here with us.

Russ and Robyn

3 comments:

Luke L. said...

Finally another update guys! Just kidding loving you all lots see you tonight... Keep getting better dad... Gotta keep you around forever! Thanks for going out with me the other night I had fun.

Shannon said...

So very much to be thankful for this year... Thanks for keeping us updated all along the road. Our family and our small group have been praying for you; and we have been inspired by your words of wisdom and inspiration -- throughout the journey.

Wishing your family a lovely Thanksgiving!

Anonymous said...

thinking of you every day!!! love you so much!!!! :)