Wednesday, January 28, 2009

What's your prognosis?

I probably don't need to remind you that 8 months ago my doctors were not very optomistic that I would live through the impending surgery let alone through the end of the year. Now here it is January 28th and the eve of Cody's 18th birthday! So, when I say it's an incredible blessing to be here to see my son reach the age of adulthood you can really believe it. And that's not all... This month I also got to be here for a milestone birthday for Ashley and to see Reaghan have her first birthday! It's been a great month!
Hearing the prognosis from the doctors was devistating to say the least but the journey since has been life altering and incredibly fulfilling at the same time. Life altering because we have learned to take things slower and take time to enjoy the simpler things of life. Fulfilling because we have drawn closer to God and become more dependent upon Him to meet our needs and to help us find contentment in His plan for our lives.
Enjoying life and finding contentment seem to be in short supply around the world today considering our economic times and social environment. On the other hand, those who are seeking God and striving to become more dependent upon Him are growing by leaps and bounds. Statistics tell us that when things get difficult and the stress of life becomes unbearable people seek God to help them through. This is good news because it's okay to seek God when things get out of our control. God is standing by waiting to hear from any one who is going through a difficult time no matter what kind of pain they are experiencing.
If you are someone in the throws of devistation or caught in a whirlwind of pain, I urge you to seek God and allow Him to carry your burdens. He is ready and waiting for you to rely on Him.


Blessings to you all,
Russ and Robyn

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

'bout time! I thought maybe you gave up blogging and I was disappointed. I like to hear how you are doing and what is going on with the Bishops. You are such an encouragement to me and many others! Love you guys! Lori G.

Pastor Phil said...

I agree with Lori, you are certainly an encouragement to me also. Your experience has sharpened your focus on what is important. We know your path brings new challenges every day and we pray for God to give you physical strength and spiritual encouragment. The words of Psalm 119:94 come to mind: "I am yours; save me, for I have sought your precepts." Russ, I know you are seeking God through His word.

As we discussed last night during our discussion of the miracles in the New Testament, we grow stronger with each fact. Each story, each miracle, each person changed forever by His touch or word, they all become part of a growing body of knowledge that strengthens our faith. For that reason, we remind eachother of the work He is doing in each of our lives and what He did when He was with us. Don't forget for a moment that Jesus is working on you, with you and through you to change others around you. We count on you; you can count on us.
We love you, not for what you do, but who you are.

Anonymous said...

You and your family are in our prayers

Dan & Sharon Carmody