Thursday, February 12, 2009

All is well!

          Since the last time I wrote I've had a couple of ups and downs with regard to my treatment. On Friday, February 6th, the day after my last chemo treatment, Cody and I were able to attend the FBR golf tournament in Scottsdale and had a great time spending the day together watching our favorite sport. Later that night I came down with a fever which lasted until late Sunday evening. The fever grew to a high of over 103 degrees and was caused by the chemo drug killing off my white and red blood cells. I was pretty anemic for the next several days but I was able to make it through each day at work. On Wednesday last week I went in for a blood test and my blood counts were too low for chemo treatment on Thursday. In place of the chemo treatment, my doctor sent me in to the hospital to receive a blood infusion. After 5 hours and two units of blood, I was able to go home and felt much better over the weekend. Since then I've been feeling like my old self again. I'm now preparing myself mentally for my next appointment, which is on Thursday of next week, when I'll see the doctor again and receive my next chemo treatment. 

          With all things considered though, I really have been doing great. My chemo treatment is relatively light compared to many people who suffer through considerably harsher medications and chemo drugs. I feel very blessed to have the course of treatment that I have and truly admire the strength of those I see week after week going through 5 and 6 hours of treatment at a time. Those are the people we all need to be praying for. Praying specifically for strength, endurance and comfort from God.
          Over the next week I expect to continue to feel good and will be trying to get a lot of things done around the house and at work. I have a few small projects at home that I've been trying to keep up on and work is getting busier every day. I'm supervising the construction of our new church offices and continuing to work with the architects and contractors on the design of our new buildings at the church. For those of you who know me, you know that I really enjoy keeping busy and being involved in the construction process. I'm not physically able to do the work right now but I'm really enjoying the planning and design work.
          If you happen to think about it, when you have a minute, your prayers are always appreciated. Things to pray for would be continued contentment with my course of treatment and patience to endure through to the end of March. As well as praying for those cancer patients who are suffering through their treatment and who may not know the God of comfort.

Blessings to you all!
Russ and Robyn

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Russ,

I want you to know that I think of you often during the day and understand what you are going through. Keeping faith in the Lord and knowing that you have friends and family who are praying for your complete recovery provides you the strength you need.

I took your Dad to the airport this past Tuesday and I assume he is having a great time in Hawaii.

Lisa and the kids/grandkids send their love. Take care.

Jeff

Anonymous said...

Hey Russ,

We're thinking of you too here in Gainesville, Florida. Everything is going to be fine with you!!! You have so many people praying for you!

Cheers,
Laurel
Gainesville, Fl