Wednesday, February 18, 2009

Unexpected therapy this weekend...

          Last week I mentioned that I really wanted to get caught up on a few projects that I've put off since I learned of my illness. One of those projects was to tear up the carpet in the living room and dining room and lay tile down. On Saturday morning I got up and convinced myself to tear up the carpet and see how I was feeling. After only an hour I had the carpet, padding, tack strips and glue all cleaned up and in the trash. Since that went smooth, I convinced myself to layout the tile and mix up a little thinset to lay the first few tiles. I continued working on it slowly and methodically, and by the end of the day I had laid tile in half of the room. Physically, I began to ache in muscles I haven't used in 9 months. My legs and lower back ached and my knees were so sore I could hardly walk...

          While "suffering" physically, I realized that, for me, I had just completed some of the best therapy money could buy. I thrive on using my mind and hands to construct things and I'm used to having some sort of project going on most of the time. I just didn't know how much I've missed losing myself in a project and thinking about nothing else. I enjoyed it so much that I finished laying the tile on Sunday afternoon and on Monday I grouted the tile. By the time I finished Monday night it was all I could do to get myself up off the floor and walk. I was in pain and I loved it!
          I did have a little more motivation to complete this tile job than I let on... You see, last weekend was an "off" weekend from chemo so I was feeling pretty good. But, in the back of my mind, I knew that I will be having chemo this Thursday and will probably not be feeling very well by Saturday. I wanted to get the job done so I didn't have it sitting unfinished for the next few weeks.
          If you think about it and have a few minutes over the weekend I could sure use your prayers for getting through this round of chemo. I'm a little more nervous this time since I had such a bad reaction last time. I'm determined to go through it though and get it done because I'll be that much closer to the end, which I hope will be around the end of March.
          Thanks again for all your encouraging words and prayers. You can't believe what a difference it makes to us to know that you are all out there reading this blog, praying for us and writing comments or sending your words of encouragement through emails and cards. If we can pray for you for anything that may be going on in your life please feel free to write a comment or drop us an email. We count it a privilege to join you in prayer and encouragement.

Because His love and grace is sufficient,
Russ and Robyn 

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Russ, Thanks so much for continuing to share your journey. It's encouraging and inspiring as I sit here at the computer crying. We serve such a great God! You and your family are in our prayers. Blessings, Ruthann & Henry

Anonymous said...

Russ,
You know who to call if you need some physical therapy!! Now you have to load photos of your wonderful new flooring!
Prayers....D&G

Tristan said...

Great therapy, indeed. It was great to run into you at church a few weeks back and we are thrilled to here of how God has done such a marvelous healing in your life. We will continue to pray for you.

By the way, Steve's cousin that is battling colon cancer begins her chemo this Thursday. I will be praying for you both a lot that day and in the days that follow.