Thursday, May 22, 2008

May 22nd Roller Coaster

Well, if this ride we are on is best described as an emotional roller coaster then on Tuesday we hit the bottom of the valley and today we are screaming upwards toward the next crest of the ride!  We met with the Surgeon this morning and were greeted by a very confident but not cocky man who was about my age, (47).  He introduced himself and then said lets get this thing out of you, okay?  Robyn and I looked at each other in disbelief and tears began to well up in both our eyes.  Doctor, we said, you don't understand that we've been told this tumor has progressed to a point where surgery is not an option but you are telling us something different.  Why?  He went on to tell us that if the rolls were reversed and he was facing this serious of a disease he would want someone like him to be as aggressive as possible and do the surgery.  He had reviewed my MRI and felt that there is a very good chance that he can remove the left side of my liver, including the bile duct system and then connect the right side back to my intestines.  So, our prayer over the last couple days has been for God to provide some hope through the visit today and he has absolutely done just that.  We are so thankful for all of you walking by us and holding us up in your prayers.  We are so encouraged by all of you and the way that everyone has truly laid this situation before our God and allowed Him to do the rest.  We know the battle has just begun and there will still be many peaks and valleys on this ride but we feel as though we have a team of thousands, some right in the thick of the battle and some standing on the sidelines, praying their hearts out and cheering us on.  There is no way in this earthly world that we could go through this without all of you.  Thank you so very much!  We hope to learn tomorrow when the surgery will be scheduled.  We hope it will be sometime next week but are not yet sure.  Look for our next posting tomorrow to get the surgery date.  Also, if you have a minute, click on "comments" at the end of these postings to read some of the great and inspiring comments that we've received.  You can't help but be inspired!

18 comments:

Anonymous said...

That is awesome news, PRAISE GOD!! You all remain in our prayers. M&C

Anonymous said...

That's a big "Yay" from me! Thank you, Lord, for this good doctor.

Jeanette said...

God is so Good. I am overwhelmed with tears of praise. I love you.

Unknown said...

Praise God for his goodness. We'll keep praying for you!

Anonymous said...

Wonderful... absolutely wonderful ! I have tears of hope on my face right now! I have thought and prayed for your family so much the last few days. I have been reading Psalm 20 over and over again... lifting you up in prayer. God is so good! What an encouragement!

Anonymous said...

I know the Lord is always with me. I will not be shaken, for he is right beside me. No wonder my heart is filled joy, and my mouth shouts his praises! My body rests in hope. You have shown me the way of life and you will give me wonderful joy in your presence.~ Acts2:25-26,28

lori said...

i promise. sadie did smell like old spice.

love the news today! and love you! and your dog.

Anonymous said...

Russ, Cami and I have been praying for you every day since we heard the news! We know GOD knows what he is doing and we trust he will see you, Robyn and Cody through this!!! GOD bless you, you are a strong christian man and I know this doctor was sent to you for a reason!!!

The Little Family (East Coast Version) HA HA

Anonymous said...

FANTASTIC!!!!!!!!!!!!! GET ER DONE!
<><

The Kirkish's said...

Very good news! I am praying for you guys!
Nicole Kirkish (Stavros)

Anonymous said...

I can't stop crying, I am so happy for the hope this doctor has given you. Now we can watch God perform the miracle He wants to perform, so He may get the GLORY. Praise Him for HIs mighty power. We will not stop praying for you!!! We love you guys! Trust God in the journey for it's how we live it that counts.

jerry b. said...

Hey Russ,
God never leaves His kids without a semblance of hope! Awesome! You are on the prayer chain at BBC, and the lady across the street has her church praying, too. That is a couple of hundred in your corner in SoCal. I love and respect you deeply

Unknown said...

Wonderful news. Lori and Bruce just told us of this new Doctor and his plan....and it is such good news. Your ears must be burning because we're thinking & talking of you all the time. We know you will get past all of this.
Love from Bob & Nancy

Anonymous said...

Thank you, Lord!
Much love and prayers,
Heather and Dave

Dick said...

Praise God! We are so excited for you! We'll keep praying and asking for prayer.
Dick & Karen

Anonymous said...

Praise God for this Dr.! You don't know me, but I'm a secretary at Berea Baptist Church and Barb Moulton is one of our office volunteers. She is a wonderful, dear woman who has shared your story with me and listed you on our church prayer sheet.

Please be uplifted that we are all praying for you and as you know, God will never leave you nor forsake you. Our God is an awesome God!

Brenda Curry
Berea Baptist Church
Berea, Kentucky

Unknown said...

How exciting to watch the body of Christ come together in prayer over such a wonderful family and how comforting to know that the Sovereign God of the universe is in control of all this.

Melissa Jill :) said...

Hey guys--just got the link to your blog but my mom has been updating me. What a shock it was to hear that you have cancer Russ! Heartbreaking. My heart goes out to you guys and I'm joining the prayer effort!

All my love!!!