Tuesday, May 20, 2008

May 20th, Update from Russ

We can’t say thank you enough for so many kind words, thoughts, prayers, cards, letters, flowers, meals and all around encouragement that we’ve received over the last few days. We definitely feel your presence and the presence of God as we go through this trial in our life. Even through a tough day like today we are encouraged through the knowledge that all of you are praying and petitioning God on our behalf. This morning, Robyn, Ashley and I went to the Oncologist to see what the next step is in the treatment of this disease. We learned that the cancer is actually located within the “bilary tree” which is in the liver. This presents a serious challenge and it seems that the primary treatment is surgery. We now have a consultation with a surgeon at Good Samaritan Hospital in Phoenix on Thursday morning at 9:00am. As if that weren’t a stiff enough blow to our hopes we received a call from the Mayo Clinic just after we returned home. We had applied to be seen by their liver surgical team to see if we could get a consultation with them. The call was to inform us that the surgeons who reviewed the file felt as though surgery is not possible given the advancement and agressiveness of the tumor. Now, we are on pins and needles wondering if this is just a prelude to what the surgeon at Good Sam will tell us on Thursday morning. Until that meeting we'll be resting in the words from Psalm 20 and the knowledge that you are all petitioning on our behalf. Thank you again for your outpouring of love and support.

11 comments:

lori said...

lifting you up continually my sweet friends...i love you! lori

Jeanette said...

My heart aches as I read your words, Russ. You are such a strong man; I'm sure it isn't easy for you to write these updates. Please know that it helps others feel connected and know more specifically what to pray for. I truly admire your courage and strength. Love, Jeanette

jeannea said...

It is so hard to know what to say. You are both such an encouragement to all of us and we will not stop asking the Lord for a miracle. I know the Lord is walking with you through this time. We love you both. Jeanne and Dick

Allygrace said...

Hi Bishops! I am a friend of Luke and Ashley's and they passed on your blog for prayers. We will definately be lifting you up in prayers. Our family has battled with cancer and I remember one Sunday sitting in church, soon after my father was diagnoised with cancer and a song was sung that has forever changed my life. It's called Still-
Hide me now, under Your wings.
Cover me within Your mighty hand.

Find rest my soul in Christ alone,
Know his power, in quiteness and trust.

When the oceans rise
and thunders roar.
I will soar with You, above the storm
Father You are king over the flood,
I will be still and know You are God.

Find rest my soul in Christ alone,
Know his power, in quiteness and trust.

Praying for you all and hope this can be some encouragement. -Ally Cummins

Anonymous said...

Russ, Robyn, & Cody;
You are all in our prayers. We love you all so much.

Anonymous said...

We love you and uphold you in our prayers. You been the mighty oak for many of us and have had profound impact upon our lives. Its a privilege to stand by you now.

But he said to me, "My grace is sufficient for you, for my power is made perfect in weakness." Therefore I will boast all the more gladly about my weaknesses, so that Christ's power may rest on me. 2 Corinthians 12:9

Anonymous said...

Russ, what can I say. You are one big man! Let me break it down for you. God gave you a big heart, to love your family. God gave you big shoulders not to shoulder the load or the world, but to give each member of your family a place to lean on in the rocky points of life. You have big hands, that you have devoted to fixing things at church, around the house, and even in a different country. He gave you big feet, because no one can ever fill those shoes you wear and he gave you a mind that is big enough to ponder the will of God. It is so amazing and a comfort to know that you serve the only other person bigger than yourself…….You serve God, rest in his hands big guy and know that we love you and are praying for you and your family.

Pastor Phil said...

As today past by, I pictured myself sitting on the bench. Like a second string player on the basketball team, wishing I could get in the game. Taking a closer look, I see you in the game, running back and forth scoring points, blocking shots and setting screens. On the bench, there are few injuries. In the game there are hazards on both ends and danger even in the middle of the court.

Jesus took our place, that included the injuries and cheap shots by the evil one. Russ, you put yourself in harms way for others. We'd like to carry you, lifted high on our shoulders as our hero. Though you cannot see us, we are everywhere talking to the Father, begging Him to reveal His mighty power. Not one of us is exhausted from pleading with Him.

We're hoping you will look down the bench our way and nod.

Anonymous said...

we just wanted to let you know that you are in our thoughts and prayers, that you will all feel God's loving arms around you at this difficult time. Mike and Cheri

Maria Kumlander said...

Please know we are praying for you Russ and Robyn and family. Charles and I Look forward to talking to you soon. Much Love to you ALL!!!! Charles & Maria Kumlander

Maria Kumlander said...

Please know we are praying for you Russ and Robyn and family. Charles and I Look forward to talking to you soon. Much Love to you ALL!!!! Charles & Maria Kumlander