Friday, June 13, 2008

Numb, but still tingling...

Robyn and I walked out of the Oncologist's office today and just sat in the truck for a few minutes trying to gather our thoughts and feelings.  The only way to describe how we feel after the last 4 weeks and today's office visit was to use the word "Numb".  We are absolutely numb to everything that has gone on in 30 days and our heads are spinning at the speed at which everything is going.  The good news is we still have that tingling sensation and we know that hope still surrounds us!

The news today wasn't particularly unexpected.  The Oncologist described a course of treatment that will truly increase the survivability of this disease but hearing him describe the severity and aggressiveness of my particular cancer brought about a very heavy dose of reality to our situation.  The doctor started out by saying how impressed he was with the results of the surgery and pathology reports.  He is very optimistic, as is the surgeon, that all the cancer was removed.  However, this type of cancer has a habit of popping up in other areas of the body if aggressive radiation and chemotherapy is not started as soon as possible.  So, now that the first phase of my treatment, the surgery, is over, the second phase of my treatment will begin as soon as I am healed from the surgery.  In about 3 to 4 more weeks I will begin 7 weeks of daily radiation therapy.  The doses will be concentrated to the area around my liver and in short intervals of about 15 minutes each day.  That will be combined with 3 days of chemo therapy at the beginning of the 7 weeks and 3 days at the end of the 7 weeks.  Once that is over I will have chemo therapy treatments about once per week over the next 3 to 6 months.  By that time, we hope it will be all over.
Okay, enough of the tough stuff, the good news is that I'm healing very well and getting stronger everyday.  There is almost no pain now and just weakness and fatigue which will go away with time.  The other good news is that I should be well enough to go back to work on a limited basis in about 3 to 4 weeks.  I spoke to my supervisor yesterday about that and there is a possibility of that happening depending on the amount of work available at the time.  
As Robyn mentioned to you all in the last posting, I'm absolutely humbled by all the prayers and comments that we've been receiving since all this started.  We truly appreciate all of you and would humbly ask you all to continue with the prayers and encouragement.  We both draw so much from your words and feel as though we are not going through this by ourselves.  Thank you all for everything!  Russ

7 comments:

Mary Jane said...

Robyn and Russ, I have been on your blog everyday and just as you are amazed at all the support surroumding you, I am too. A lot of of my clientel know you and you have know idea how many are lifting you up in prayer right now. I just know something good will come from this. I love you guys, Mary Jane

Anonymous said...

Robyn & Russ, I have been on your blog daily and so appreicate the updates. How good our God is. I will continue to lift you up in prayer and you are in my thoughts also. Lola

Anonymous said...

May the Lord continue to be your strength. We are praying for you and are grateful for the healing that has already been happening. Blessings, Heather and Dave Hofman

Anonymous said...

Russ and Robyn,
Pete Bryan brought us up to date on everything that is going on and we just wanted you to know that you are in our prayers and we are asking God to wrap you in his arms and heal you of this disease. We are thinking about you and praying for you every day. Ron would love to talk to Russ but we don't know how to get in touch
Ron and Sue Noreen

Anonymous said...

Robyn and Russ, I just found out about this from Mary Jane. Just wanted to let you know that you guys are in our thoughts and prayers. Love Cara, Kenny and family.

Anonymous said...

Hey buddy, Laurie and I have been in constant contact with mom and dad and reading the blog. Lots of prayers have been going up everyday. Heard lots of family have been in town and we'll be over once we get back from Montana. Give everyone hugs and kisses for us. Todd , Laurie and Devin

Dan and Nancy Roberts said...

Robyn, Russ and Cody

We are thankful to hear that Russ is at home and healing from surgery. You will be in our prayers over the coming weeks of treatment to sense His presence and peace. Under His Mercy, Dan, Nancy, Caston and Quade