Monday, June 23, 2008

Stronger day by day

Good Monday morning to everyone.  It's been a few days since we posted an update so I thought I'd take a moment to write one to fill you in on the latest and what we have coming up. Since my return from the last stay in the hospital I've been losing the battle with trying to get consistent sleep but I believe that has a lot to do with the medications that I'm on.  The good news is I'm almost finished with those medications and look forward to getting back to a good sleep routine soon.  Aside from the sleep issue, the most difficult thing to get used to is the heightened sensitivity to my senses.  Every touch, odor, sound, and taste is magnified and creates an unusual and unpleasant response.  Even my sense of sight is affected when we go out in public.  The shear numbers of colors we see in a grocery store create a slight level of confusion and discomfort.  Again, all of these things are more than likely caused by the medications so I really look forward to getting off them.

Pain has really not been an issue thus far so the only pain medication I take is one tablet at night to help me to fall asleep.  The only discomfort that I feel is from the drain bag that is connected to my liver to help drain the excess bile. That bag is destined to be removed in about 2 to 3 more weeks.  So as you can see, I'm making very good progress and get stronger every day.  I'm really looking forward to getting back to a routine of sorts including work and catching up on a few things around the house.
Many people ask what they can pray for at this point so here are a few things that we are truly concerned about but know that God is in control and He will work through them in His time.  
  • Please pray for us as a family.  As you can imagine this event has placed a lot of uncertainty and stress in our lives.  Please pray we will continue to trust God for everything.
  • Please pray for my employer this week.  They have been very generous thus far in this situation however, decisions will have to be made this week as to what future, if any, I will have with the company.
  • Please pray for our finances as well.  Depending upon the decision made this week at work we may be in a very difficult financial place.  Of course, nothing God won't be able to handle.
  • Finally, please pray for my Doctors appointments this week.  I will be meeting with the Radiology Oncologist to discuss the process and effects the radiation treatments will have.  I will also be meeting with the surgeon to discuss clamping off my bile bag to see if I can go without it. Both of these appointments will be on Thursday.
Once again, Robyn and I want to thank you for every prayer, word of encouragement and thoughtful gift that we've received.  We wish you all could see what affect you are all having on each other through this blog and emails. We cannot calculate the number of people who've been encouraged by your words and prayers and that is what all of this should be about.  Lord, even though this church has no building to hang a sign on, your church is alive and well through your loving people who praise you and give you the glory for this event in the lives of one family of believers.  May you be glorified!!
Thank you all again and keep the comments flowing!

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Russ and Robyn,
It is a privilege to pray for you as the events unfold each day. Praise God for the encouraging results so far and the blessing your family is to all of us.

Don C. (and Debbie from afar)

Anonymous said...

Thanks for being so faithful in updating us. How much I appreciate it. Will continue to pray for you. God is faitful and I thank Him for your witness through all of this. The Lord God is with you. He is might to save. He will take great delight in you. He will quiet you with His love. He will rejoice over you with singing. Zephaniah 3:17. A favorite verse of mine I wanted to share with you.
Lola

Anonymous said...

Dear Russ and Robyn,
You and your family continue to be in my prayers. I will pray specifically as you requested. You are thought of and prayed for daily.

Staci Fletcher

Pastor Phil said...

As I worked down my prayer list (thank God for computers), I prayed for friends in PNG and the translation work as well as approval for Geoff to be sent to the battlefront. From there, it was a natural jump to pray for Russ. Russ, I'm sure you have thoughts about your service for God in PNG and your mind goes there from time to time. We are blessed to know someone that has such a huge heart for God's work in the world, someone who would give up all to help in an impoverished part of the world.

In my reading this morning I came across Luke 3:11. John the Baptist is giving instructions to the people of his day on how to live. He tells them "Whoever has two coats, share with the one who has none. And, whoever has food, to do likewise." I think of you, Russ, as someone who 'gets it': hears the Word and does it. Today is a day that Compassion International has set aside to focus on the needs of the poor during the current worldwide food crisis.

I think immediately to the question: What nourishes us? Is it TV, music, McDonalds? I'm sure these nourish some people. But others are nourished by doing good to others, helping the poor or the sick or the lonely, helping others in their time of need. "So then, as we have opportunity, let us do good to everyone, and especially to those who are of the household of faith. (Gal 6:10)

What motive should be demonstrated? The motive comes from John 13:35 "By this all people will know that you are my disciples, if you have love for one another.” Russ has sent an example for us.

Anonymous said...

Encouraged by your progress Russ. Thanks for sharing the details of how the meds are making you feel.

I concur with the wise words of the incomparable Pastor Phil! You, Russ, get it! We have been and continue to be blessed by you and your faith. Thank you for reflecting the person of Jesus to me and so many near and far.

Agape,

--Jeff

Nancy H. said...

Hi Russ~
I went to your blog for the first time today. What incredible strenth you have shown. I will pray for continued strength for you, Robyn and family. Thanks for the time you spend to write to all of us that care and pray for you and family!

In His Grip,
Nancy H.