Tuesday, August 26, 2008

Standing at a crossroad...

Robyn and I met with my Oncologist today and discussed my treatment options. On Thursday I will be finished with my radiation/chemo treatments and now have to make a decision on how far to go with additional treatment. The Oncologist explained again that my type of cancer is very rare, therefore there haven't been many studies on it. The studies that have been done are not very accurate because many of the people have died during the study because of the cancer... So, as you can imagine, we were a little taken aback today with that information. What was encouraging was the doctor's response to all my blood work and his reassuring words that I'm not the norm and that I'm doing great! He went on to describe the next course of treatment which is 4 to 6 months of chemo. But, since the studies are limited, there is no information that indicates whether or not chemo will do anything for me. In other words, it's just a shot in the dark... He said from his perspective there is no right or wrong answer here and he would completely understand if we decided not to continue with the chemo treatments. He also said that if we chose not to continue with chemo he would continue to monitor my health with a CT scan every three months since this cancer can be aggressive.

So why am I sharing all this with you? Because, as usual, we need your prayers. We ask that you pray for God to give us wisdom through the next three weeks as we weigh our options. We ask that you pray for God's peace and comfort in knowing that He is in control and His plan is sovereign. Most importantly, we ask that you pray for us to never rob the Lord of His glory through this event. He is to be praised at all times and lifted on high for this situation. We trust in Him and trust that He knows exactly what He is doing and where this is heading. For that we are truly grateful.

Thank you again for all your support!
Russ and Robyn

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hi Russ & Robyn,

Wow, what a crossroads to be at . . . with fog blocking the view in both directions! I want you to know I am praying for you as you work this out, and that you will both know & feel that God is walking with you on whichever path you take.

This has been one of my favorite verses for years. I like way it describes how the power of God can work in our lives: "I will go before you and will level the mountains; I will break down gates of bronze and cut through bars of iron." Is 45:2

Anonymous said...

Hello my sweet friends! Praying for you to know what direction to take...I know your hearts and am at a loss for words...... know how much I will be praying for a solid direction from the Lord... peace...comfort...for you both...

love you dearly!

Anonymous said...

Referring back a few blogs to that bigger than you imagined mountain you are climbing, you mentioned that there are some climing ahead of you (who have been there) and some beside you. I just wanted to encourage you that there are still those of us behind you that are supposed to remind you how far you have come to this point and to not turn back or stop. God has done amazing things through you on this mountain and I believe He will help you reach the top. Keep climbing! Mireille Helm

Anonymous said...

Good Morning,
You are on my heart and in my mind.

Anonymous said...

Dearest Russ, Robyn, and family,

Please know that my heart and prayers are with you! Robyn- you have been so good to me in my great time of need. I have been so blessed by your sweet spirit. I will eagerly, and faithfully be praying for you, and your husband Russ. God is faithful!

Blessings to you all,

Tammy Olsen and Family
Gilbert, AZ
www.babybriannah.org

With long life will I satisfy you, and show you my salvation. Psalms 91:16

Anonymous said...

You are and continue to be in my as well as my family's prayers (they live in Flordia). May God make it so very clear to you for this next step. As you know, He is an awesome God! I'm believing for more miracles as we've already seen such in your life, Russ. Blessings, RV